Meditating in Spain

Meditating in Spain
Meditating in Spain

June 8, 2013


MORNING ENTRY - JUNE 7, 2013.  I just watched the sun rise over Laguna de Apoyo, accompanied by the cartoon like warble of the Urupendula birds nesting above me and the Congo monkeys howling all around me.  Pretty spectacular.  When I booked the night for Ann and I at the Apoyo Restort and Spa - it looked pretty nice - was within our price range - and that was that.  I could have never imagined that I would be sitting on the porch, front and center to a rare  natural phenomenon.  

The Urupendula is a native Nicaraguan bird that each year creates long (like 3 foot long) pendulous nests from the fronds of bananas.  A task that takes about a month.  The flock that have nested in the large Guanacaste tree in front of our villa have created over 30 nests and are continuing construction from morning to night - both inside and out.  These large dark feathered birds have long brightly colored beaks and bright yellow tails.  Both sexes build the nest, climbing in from the top to construct and to sleep at night now and eventually to lay their eggs.  The call is like something I have never heard before.  Cartoon-like.  To make the sound, they must turn upside down, on a tree branch, and flip back up, like an ancient indigenous instrument or a child’s toy.  It’s the motion that makes the noise, and it is loud!  

One of the developers of the property, Gail from Kalamazoo Michigan, says this phenomenon is a once in a life time experience.  The nests are usually scattered throughout the rainforest and these naturally shy birds tend to cease all activity when a human meanders by.  But here they are - front and center - almost within arms reach - an amazing backdrop for my evening glass of Pinot Grigio and my morning cup of coffee.  I am a lucky girl.

Ann and I met up in Houston, flew to Managua, arrived at Casa San Juan without incident.  Always a plus when traveling to Latin America.  Our driver, Edgar, arrived at 9:00 sharp and drove us to my preferred destination of Laguna de Apoyo.  I had seen the crater lake the previous year from the mirador de Catarina (lookout) and knew I needed to plunge my body into its waters.  Our resort is undergoing an amazing transformation.  The 140 villas are perched on the verdant green crater that surrounds the lake, with a pool, restaurant, spa, and even an obstacle course.  
Many of the units are in poor condition, but the new manager, Gerardo from the Netherlands, has a plan to get this place in tip top shape by January.  There are 40 owners and it is a condo/hotel set up where owners can only spend ⅓ of the year in their unit.  Our villa is amazing.  Nicely appointed, large, very traditional in decor, and remember the view?  We are the ONLY guests in this off season.  They kept calling me “ Mrs. Tina “ :)  .  I’m thinking yoga retreat in the spring of 2014?  Put it on the calendar.

We meandered down to the lake and both had a lovely swim in these sacred waters.  As I slid my body into the warm, crystal clear fluid energy of the lagoon, I released old ways of being and limiting beliefs, opening to the unlimited potential locked in my heart and soul, waiting to be released.  Soon we will be immersed in the sea of service work and our community of volunteers.  Both Anne and I are filled with gratitude for this opportunity for some personal reflection before the service work that awaits us in Laguna de Perla.  

Today we have booked a tour to Mombacho, an active volcano and national park area about 45 minutes from here.  Then back to Managua to connect with the group tomorrow morning at 7:45 a.m.  The journey has begun - and what a wonderful first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment