Meditating in Spain

Meditating in Spain
Meditating in Spain

October 2, 2014

ADVENTURES IN COOKING! PAELLA VALENCIANA Y EL PAELLERO



Paella is a Valencian rice dish with ancient roots that originated in its modern form in the mid-nineteenth century.  The dish is widely regarded as Spain's national dish , but most Spaniards consider it to be a regional Valencian dish. The Spanish food historian Lourdes March notes that the dish "symbolizes the heritage and the union of two important cultures, the Roman, all which gives us the utensil, and the Arab, all which brought us the basic food of humanity for centuries." (wikipedia.com.es)

Azún, the cook at Solterreno, preparing paella.

In the Alicante area of ​​the Valencia province, paella is prepared outside, with the help of a paellero - a butane fueled burner that usually stands on a brick platform on the patio. The coils are perfectly shaped for a paella pan, of course. A wonderful adjunct to the new paella tradition I am visualizing for my family and friends!  

So where does one buy a paellero? In a Ferreteria - or hardware store - was the unexpected answer. Really? OK. So after finding an ATM in Orba, I set off to find a hardware store and make this dream a reality. I was encouraged this way and that to no avail - and ended up back at the market. I inquired about Azafrán, or saffron, at the cheese vendor, and purchased instead some brilliant red pimentón and pulpo para llevar (take out octopus), When I asked the storekeeper where I could buy a paellero, she came out of her shop into the street and had a conversation with about five local women as to where they should send the tall blonde American to fulfill her culinary needs. DASI was the unanimous answer. Up to the bar, turn right and go up up up the hill. Can not miss it. On your left. This time the directions were accurate and I found myself in a store that sold everything from tiles and bricks to plumbing supplies. After wondering around for about 10 minutes, I spied them. Various shapes and sizes of both the pans and the coils - all neatly stacked in the middle aisle. PERFECTO! I picked up an enameled variety, about the size of a large fry pan and a woman I had seen earlier in the bank asked in Spanish, "How many are you cooking for? That pan is too small for a family!" After consulting with her husband, the manager of the Ferreteria - no less - they decided on a pan that measured nearly two feet across. Perfect for my family! "The paellero part is rather heavy", I say, but they're encouraging on all levels. "The key is not to make it too thick. Thick paella is awful - the best paella is thin". I head up to pay and my new friend and I laugh about me trying to get all this paella gear on the plane..... I hear the word burbujas (bubbles) and know we're headed for bubble wrap. Brilliant! They wrap my two purchases together and secure them with some packing tape and Voila! I'm ready to go.  

I thank the staff at the hardware store for their help, as my new friend and I compare notes about our families. I tell her about my brand new granddaughter, Emma Rose, and our eyes meet in wordless recognition of the joys of being a Grandma. "Its good you bought the bigger one" - 
she laughs.  

As I get into Bodhin's car, headed back to the retreat center for a couple of days practice teaching in Spanish, he laughs at my purchase! How am I going to get that contraption to Alicante - to Belgium - through the streets of Amsterdam - and then home ????  

Me. I "m smiling from head to toe. The afternoon has been a grand success in my mind and heart. The new paella tradition is now in motion. From the streets of Orba to my patio in Milwaukee. I am grateful to each woman that helped me along the way. Their generosity has touched my heart. Buen Provecho - With deep gratitude for the Richness of Life in every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment